Friday, October 19, 2007

My own version of Hoppin' John


Tuesday we had a baked pork tenderloin for dinner. There was enough left for about two sandwiches, but my husband won't take his lunch, and these would have been relegated to a midnight snack for me, which I don't need.
So after racking my brain, I finally came up with my own version of Hoppin' John.
PS-In keeping with the frugal theme-my carrots, celery, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce,black beans, green chili's and chopped garlic ALL came from ALDI'S!
Hoppin' John
*************
5 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
1 large onion
baby carrots
3 stalks celery
1 can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 15 oz can of black beans
1 15 oz can of black-eye peas
1 small can diced green chili's
chopped garlic
left over pork tenderloin shredded
Started off with a 4 QT. pot
over medium heat cut up bacon in about
1 inch squares into pot to fry.
When bacon is done to a crisp remove and put on paper towel to cool and set aside.
To bacon grease in pot add;
Sliced onion
Cut-up carrots
Cut-up celery
Diced tomato's
Tomato Sauce
Black beans
Black-eye peas
green chili's
chopped garlic
and shredded pork
Stir together, and let cook for about an hour until carrots soften and liquid thickens up.
Turn off heat and allow to sit for a few minutes.
Serve over rice, and top with crumbled bacon.
I also added shredded cheddar to the little boys, which made it really good.

2 comments:

AM said...

all you had to say was "bacon" and the cheese topped it off...Lawd, Lawd.

Webmaster said...

This sounds yummy. How'd your family like it?